Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Does anyone know what type and weight of yarn "Lily Skytone mercerized crochet cotton, No. 1" may be?

I found a pattern using this yarn, but the Lily site does not list it. I need to find a good substitute for the yarn. I think it maybe the crochet thread, but what does No. 1 mean? I%26#039;ve seen No. 10 thread, but not No. 1.

Does anyone know what type and weight of yarn %26quot;Lily Skytone mercerized crochet cotton, No. 1%26quot; may be?
Lily Skytone (now discontinued) was very lightweight. Here%26#039;s a picture of a flower someone crocheted using that yarn: http://wolfandturtle.net/Yarnpath/index....





She used a size 7 steel hook, which is typically used with size 10 crochet thread.
Reply:I looked at at all the sites that listed patterns using #1, but not one of them gave any kind of gauge.


I found out #10 weight is considered bedspread cotton and is 3 or 4 plys depending on the manufacturer.


#3 cotton is suitable for attaching seed beads, which are pretty small, so it has to be thinner than #10.


Logically, #1 weight must be the thinnest of all. Lily is the manufacturer, but their web site is temporarily down, so I got no further. I don%26#039;t know if this helps, but I sure hope so.



Soles

No comments:

Post a Comment