Friday, July 31, 2009

Help! We've discovered red lily leaf beetles on our lilies this year. see details?

It is the first year we've had them. We have a lot of lilies, they are being destroyed by these beetles. I do not wish to put any chemicals down because I have a lot of hummingbirds and beneficial bees and such in my yard. Can anyone help me rid my lilies of these evil little bugs? Is there a natural solution??

Help! We've discovered red lily leaf beetles on our lilies this year. see details?
I have had this problem and beaten it. Last year I first tried NEEM, a soap product. I had to use it just about every day, and it had little effect on them I was overrun.





This year, in the early spring I sprayed with Malathion and then treated a couple of times with Sevin granules, as they overwinter in the soil around the plants and wake up in the spring hungry. While these chemicals are not benign, if you apply them at the right time of day, you will not place the birds and bees at great risk. I am not aware of a 'safe' treatment that actually works, as distinguished from claiming to work.





I have lots of susceptible lilies, yet have seen only two beetles so far this season. We have no shortage of bees, and no apparent reduction in the number of hummingbirds.
Reply:http://homes.mainetoday.com/gardening/05...


http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/newen...



computer

No comments:

Post a Comment